OLIVENZA Convent of San Juan de Dios

History

The convent of Our Lady of the Conception was originally founded as a convent of the Clarisas, on the initiative of Leonor Velha, who made her first and important donation. Its original construction, which endured several setbacks, was delayed for nearly a century (1556-1631). However, because of the war and the need to better protect Olivenza, part of the convent's land was occupied by the wall, leaving the building itself enclosed in one of the bastions. Thus, the first Franciscan community of Clarisas had to abandon it. It was subsequently occupied by the hospitable monks of San Juan de Dios, in order to care for the wounded soldiers, and for this reason it is now known as the convent of San Juan de Dios. It served later as a barracks for the police and the Guardia Civil, later going through a period of disrepair and ruin, until it was recovered by the vocational school.

Its remodelled facilities served as the School of Theatre and Dance of Extremadura, having recovered the chapel for use as an auditorium. It is currently under construction to be used as a Visitors' Reception Centre.

Exterior

Tiene interés su fachada de cal blanca, donde destacan los vanos superiores, correspondientes a las celdas, y los inferiores con jambas de pizarra. La portada neoclásica de la capilla, en mármol, presenta columnas dóricas romanas. Sobre las columnas se reproduce un entablamento con friso de triglifos y metopas. Sobre éste un frontón partido para colocar en su centro la corona real sobre las armas de Portugal, flanqueadas por la esfera armilar, a la izquierda, y las armas de Olivenza, a la derecha. Sobre la puerta se abre el ventanal del coro y, rematando la fachada un frontón en triángulo en cuyo centro destaca un ojo de buey ovalado y en su borde superior acaba en acroteras y volutas.

Interior: Su planta es única y rectangular con altar mayor y cuatro altares laterales, en su cabecera, y coro alto a sus pies. La bóveda es de cañón. Toda la capilla ha sido restaurada recientemente ya que estuvo un largo tiempo abandonada. En los

laterales del altar mayor se han recuperado frescos alusivos a algunos miembros de la orden hospitalaria de San Juan de Dios. El altar mayor es de tipo camarín, como en el resto de templos de Olivenza, hecho en material de obra que imita el mármol. Este altar se remata con un arco de medio punto que reproduce en su parte superior el escudo de Portugal. El camarín presenta también pinturas de motivos vegetales.

Information

Opening hours

Temporarily closed

Location

Plaza de San Juan de Dios

Telephone

0034 924 490 151

E-mail

turismo@ayuntamientodeolivenza.com

Ubicación